James Doherty opened his butcher’s shop in Derry in 1830. The business was continued by his son and grandson and by 1945 comprised a small retail chain owned by Thomas J Doherty. In that year our current Chairman, James Doherty joined his father and began a process of expansion and development into processed beef and pork products.
Today the company is managed by James Doherty’s sons. In 2010 the hand-over to a sixth generation began.